Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Same Old Hollywood Shuffle

Big Boobs, Big Boobs, Big Boobs!

Sorry about that. I'm trying to draw as much attention to this new blog as much as possible, so I wrote that to capture your attention.

Welcome my friends to the friendliest website on earth, Jonny Rage. And the first post starts...........now!


For years, the entertainment industry has stuck minorities in the same old positions. Same old street dramas, same old ghetto comedies where everyone says the n-word every five minutes, same old gansta crap. The CW even went back to the old-school WB days and established a "negro night"--one night out of the week where you see only "urban" shows--to make up for erasing the UPN network. UPN wasn't exactly perfect to begin with, but it was a little better that BET. And what's with that movie "Codename: The Cleaner"? But maybe I'm being too harsh. After all I'm not an entertainer who deals with the ins and outs of Hollywood. But I found someone was does. In the Washington Post, comedian/actor Jordan Carlos talks about how wonderful it is to work in Hollywood. Here's a sample:

Entering the comedy world as a black man means you always stand out, even during off hours, such as one Christmas evening in New York at my first holiday comedy mixer. All of Gotham's comedic glitterati were there. I cornered a "Daily Show" writer, doing my best to get the inside track on a possible actor/writer gig. We broached the subject of black correspondents. He told me that they "tried a black guy once, but it didn't work out." I nearly threw my imported beer in his face. Tried it once and it didn't work? You say that about Toyotas, not a whole race of people. But to date, comedy writing is pretty whitewashed. As of this season, "Saturday Night Live" has no black writers. "The Daily Show" also doesn't have any, and neither does "The Colbert Report," a show on which I've played Stephen Colbert's black friend "Alan," a member of the staff. That's right. "The Colbert Report" had to hire an actor to play a black person who works on the show.

This is the year 2007! You would think that there would be more equality, more variety, and more respect in show business (and every other business for that matter).

Want to read more of Jordan's words?

1 Comments:

At January 07, 2007 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice blog, bro! The more people we have to talk about Black entertainment, the better!

Peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home