Tuesday, January 09, 2007

What Is A Black Man?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Hello, there.

The coolest thing I have ever seen is on the Washington Post's website. "Being A Black Man" is an interactive series on the website that gives America an open window into the problems, triumphs, and the very soul of American American men. There's a Flash program that displays so, so many videos and articles about the different sides and subjects involving black men. Very cool. And I'm not just saying that because I'm black. OK, I kinda am. I haven't seen every inch of the program yet, but what I have seen so far was awesome.

Here's a taste of one of the articles, "In or Out of the Game?"
The sun is setting on this warm December day, the chill is rolling in. A.J. zips up his black leather jacket and hollers at a woman in three-inch heels on the other side of Adams Street. "I'm going to hurry up and get myself together so I can marry you!" But together seems a long way off. James is wearing an ankle bracelet containing a GPS tracking device that allows authorities to monitor his movements. "To me, it's degrading -- like on Animal Planet where they tag the animals," he says. His curfew is 8 p.m. He has no job, no car, no place of his own (he lives on this block with his aunt). He is 37 years old. A front tooth is missing, the result of a scuffle with police. His hand is stiff from being shot. His stomach is carved up from being shot. His arm is skin-grafted and mottled from being shot. Shot, shot, shot. Ten times in all.


I really love the videos, which are basically mini documentaries that tell you what life is like as a black man and what black men need to do in order to better themselves. The one I love the most (so far) is the "invisible man" video, which reveals how black men are viewed by others in America.

Oh, yeah, and there are also these cool galleries, too. Here's one of them called "Law and Order: Career Intent" (Look on the left side of the "Being A Black Man" home page).


The only question I have to ask is...what about black women? (But then again, in my opinion, black women seem to be considered by others to be a bit more exceptional, less threatening, and more intelligent than black men.)


Please, please, please check the series out. And when you're done, pass it on to a friend. I'm serious. In fact, I'll display the link one more time.

Being A Black Man!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home